Category Archives: Poland
Although some teams are yet to be completed here in the UK, everything is done and dusted on the team-building front over in Poland.
Each of the ten Ekstraliga sides have set out their squads for the forthcoming season as they set out for glory.
Here are how each of the clubs will line-up when the new season kicks off in April.
Tarnow snatched the Ekstraliga title with a thrilling 51-39 victory over Gorzow which saw them prevail 93-86 on aggregate.
At the weekend, I was lucky enough to get my first taste of Ekstraliga speedway as I travelled to Poland with my Dad to watch WTS Sparta Wroclaw vs Unia Leszno.
Stal Gorzow pulled off a tremendous comeback to run out as 49-41 winners over Tarnow in this top of the table Ekstraliga clash.
Marma Rzeszow overcame the absence of Jason Crump to take a surprise 48-42 home victory over Falubaz Zielona Gora.
Brit Tai Woffinden came agonisingly close to a maximum as he led Wroclaw to a priceless 46-44 home win over Polonia Bydgoszcz.
Unibax Torun put in a marvellous home display as they raced to a sensational 60-30 victory over Wlokniarz Czestochowa.
Brothers Emil and Kamil Pulczynszki got the visitors off to a dream start as they raced to an opening heat 5-1, but World Champion Greg Hancock and Kacper Gomolski instantly cancelled that out by striking a maximum of their own for Tarnow.
Polish Grand Prix winner Martin Vaculik and Leon Madsen then raced clear from Australian duo Ryan Sullivan and Darcy Ward to give the league leaders their second 5-1 in as many heats.
An outstanding victory for Kamil Pulczynski in heat 4 over Janusz Kolodziej was then converted into a 4-2 by Grand Prix star Chris Holder in third, halving the deficit to only two points.
Although a win for Adrian Miedzinski saw heat 5 end level, the Sullivan and Ward pairing again conceded a 5-1 next time out – this time to Poles Kolodziej and Maciej Janowski.
Wins for Hancock and Kolodziej in heats 7 and 8 respectively saw the hots extend their lead with further heat advantages, by Sullivan and Ward bounced back to record a 5-1 of their own over Hancock in heat 9.
Vaculik and Sullivan took the chequered flag in the next two races to see the sides trade 4-2s, before wins for Vaculik and Holder saw the same occurance, with Tarnow 6 points up going into the final two heats.
For Tarnow, it was an excellent all-around team display, with Martin Vaculik (12+1), Janusz Kolodziej (11+1) and Leon Madsen (9+1) leading the way with superb scores in the middle order. Greg Hancock (9) also bagged three vital race wins, and the strong performances of those four powered them to victory. Kacper Gomolski (4+1) did add some crucial points in the main body, whilst Maciej Janowski (4+1) did contribute to the win despite being below par.
On the other hand, Torun will be disappointed with defeat, but probably quite pleased with the effort they put in to push the league leaders all the way. Chris Holder (12) was excellent, whilst Adrian Miedzinski (8) and Kamil Pulczynski (6) both did what was asked of them. However, the remaining riders were all a little worse than would be expected. Darcy Ward (5) was obviously not fully fit, with fellow Australian Ryan Sullivan (7+1) not scoring as highly as normally. Karol Zabik (0) continues to struggle, whilst Emil Pulczynski (2+1) failed to build on a good first ride, leading to a defeat.
Azoty Tauron Tarnow – 50
9. Greg Hancock – 9 (3,3,0,0,3)
10. Kacper Gomólski – 4+1 (2*,1,1,-)
11. Martin Vaculik – 12+1 (3,1*,3,3,2)
12. Leon Madsen – 9+2 (2*,2,1,2,2*)
13. Janusz Kołodziej – 11+1 (2,3,3,2,1*)
14. Maciej Janowski – 4+1 (1,2*,0,1)
15. Jakub Jamróg – 1 (0,ef,1)
Unibax Torun – 40
1. Adrian Miedziński – 8 (1,3,2,2,0)
2. Karol Ząbik – 0 (0,0,-,-)
3. Ryan Sullivan – 7+1 (1,0,2*,3,1)
4. Darcy Ward – 5 (0,1,3,1,t)
5. Chris Holder – 12 (1,2,2,1,3,3)
6. Emil Pulczyński – 2+1 (2*,0,0)
7. Kamil Pulczyński – 6 (3,3,0,0,0)
HEAT BY HEAT
1. (70,41) K.Pulczyński, E.Pulczyński, Janowski, Jamróg 1:5
2. (70,26) Hancock, Gomólski, Miedziński, Ząbik 5:1 (6:6)
3. (69,72) Vaculik, Madsen, Sullivan, Ward 5:1 (11:7)
4. (69,98) K.Pulczyński, Kołodziej, Holder, Jamróg (ef) 2:4 (13:11)
5. (69,69) Miedziński, Madsen, Vaculik, Ząbik 3:3 (16:14)
6. (69,98) Kołodziej, Janowski, Ward, Sullivan 5:1 (21:15)
7. (69,60) Hancock, Holder, Gomólski, E.Pulczyński 4:2 (25:17)
8. (69,87) Kołodziej, Miedziński, Jamróg, K.Pulczyński 4:2 (29:19)
9. (70,44) Ward, Sullivan, Gomólski, Hancock 1:5 (30:24)
10. (69,97) Vaculik, Holder, Madsen, K.Pulczyński 4:2 (34:26)
11. (69,94) Sullivan, Kołodziej, Holder, Janowski 2:4 (36:30)
12. (69,52) Vaculik, Miedziński, Janowski, E.Pulczyński 4:2 (40:32)
13. (69,34) Holder, Madsen, Ward, Hancock 2:4 (42:36)
14. (69,52) Hancock, Madsen, Sullivan, K.Pulczyński (Ward – t) 5:1 (47:37)
15. (69,24) Holder, Vaculik, Kołodziej, Miedziński 3:3 (50:40)
Wojta Zavril (www.wojta-foto.cz)